The first adhesive postage stamp, the 1 paiso, was reported in European stamp magazines in November 1880 and less than six years later, in 1886, the State Post was merged with the Indian postal system.
The stamp was lithographed in a sheet of 64 (8x8) in a square design showing a sword with inscription - in Marathi script rather than the Gujarati of the letter sheets - reading RÀJPIPLÀ TAPÀL [post] and HÀNSHÌL (literally tax or profit) in brackets below and the value EK PAISO divided in the four corners. In the bottom sheet margin is a tablet with the same inscriptions and the complete sheet has an outer frame at top and right (this is absent from the top margin of the sheet in the Tapling Collection in the British Library, but may have been trimmed off). Most of the numerous printing flaws on the 1 paiso are not constant, though the vertical perforations varied in their extent. However, Haverbeck considered that the frame lines round each stamp were drawn individually after the litho transfers were made.